Bishops Beat-up By Strong Stingers

Strong Showing Helps Women Get Back To Winning Ways

Photos by Amanda Laprade

Concordia 71 Bishop’s 40

After a difficult three weeks that saw the Stingers drop five straight games, Concordia’s Women’s basketball team returned to winning ways in convincing style against the Bishop’s University Gaiters.

The game, which took place last Friday at the Loyola Gym, featured both a high flying offense and aggressive defense from the Stingers.

Stingers guard Kaylah Barrett, who has been battling hip and thumb injuries according to head coach Keith Pruden, led the Stingers with 19 points despite playing 25 minutes. “I’m busted up everywhere but you know I just play through it,” said Barrett.

For ConU, the game did not start out as easily as it ended. Both teams played with a lot of energy in the first quarter, with the Stingers having as much as an eight point lead following a three pointer from Alex Boudreau.

The Gaiters, however, were quick to expose the Stingers on defense, converting two turnovers into buckets in the last minute of the quarter which ended 18-14 in ConU’s favour.

In the second quarter Stinger’s guard Magalie Beaulieu and Barrett scored multiple treys to open a 10-point lead. By the time halftime came around, they led 38-25. Despite only scoring 12 points in the third, all they did was dominate the Gaiters further, holding a commanding 50-34 lead going into the fourth.

Guard Gabrielle Chamberlan, who led the Gaiters with 11 points, was the only threat to the strong Stingers defense, which out-rebounded its opponents 53-34 and forced an impressive 26 turnovers.

“We’ve known all along that we’re capable of being a very good defensive team and I think we showed it tonight,” said Pruden. “Part of the reason we’ve been struggling offensively the last month is because we’ve been flat defensively […] you have to play at both ends.”

The Stingers did not let up offensively in the fourth, outscoring their opponents 21-6. Forward Andreanne Gregoire-Boudreau shot two consecutive three-pointers, one of which beat the shot-clock buzzer, putting her side up 56-34. In total, the Stingers shot 11 three-pointers on the night.

With an 18-point lead, the game was far out of reach for the Gaiters. “I’m really happy but we’re a long way from where I can put my feet up and relax,” said Pruden, looking towards the season’s last few games. “I’m just really happy and excited with how much energy they played with. This is the hardest we’ve gone at somebody in about two months.”

The Stingers get the chance to beat up on Bishops again this Friday when they travel to Lennoxville, before facing the McGill Martlets on Saturday. Both outings begin at 6:00 p.m.