Stingers 2, Gaiters 1: An early lead propels the Stingers to victory

Defensive prowess helps the Stingers win their second game of the season

Stingers forward Maryse Vienneau dribbles the ball away from Gaiters defender Marijke Meindertsma. Photo Reuben Polansky-Shapiro / Concordia Athletics

The Concordia Stingers’ women’s soccer team overcame injuries and a tough opposing offence to bring home their second win of the season against the Bishop’s University Gaiters on Sept. 17 at Concordia Stadium.

The first half started strong, as the Stingers quickly got on the scoreboard. Within the first two minutes of play, Stingers’ midfielder Shyna Fung made a top-left corner shot from a free kick obtained after a foul was called on Bishop's.

After Concordia quickly took the lead, Bishop’s displayed determination to make a goal and kept possession of the ball. The Stingers doubled down on their defensive efforts and managed to hold back Bishop’s offence until the 19-minute mark.

After a scoring attempt from the Gaiters, and a stop from Stingers’ goalkeeper Rosalie Girouard, Bishop’s midfielder Marie-Pierre Beaudoin grasped the opportunity to score. She took a rebound from Girouard and scored in the bottom-right corner, tying the game 1-1.

A mere seven minutes later—after Bishop’s forward Michaela Marenchin tripped Stingers’ Ava Campione inside the box—the Gaiters were given an immediate red card. Stingers’ forward Sara Carrière took the penalty shot for the Stingers.

“I was a little bit nervous, but I was just confident. I told myself it was gonna go in, and it went in,” said Carrière, who gained back the Stingers’ lead 2-1 heading into the second half. 

At the 49-minute mark, Girouard received a hit on the head when she slid to go catch the ball inside of her own box. Anastasia Fox took her place as netminder for the remainder of the game.

“It’s always scary when a girl gets a hit in the head but she’ll be fine,” assured Stingers’ head coach Greg Sutton.

Not too long after, Stingers’ forward Rachel Vermaire received a yellow card after one too many fouls. Although much action took place, the second half saw no goals scored from either team.

The Stingers will attempt to keep their momentum going when they visit the Université de Laval Rouge et Or on Friday, Sept. 22.