Stingers’ Winning Streak Snapped

Women’s Hockey Team Blow Two Goal Lead Against CIS no.1 Ranked McGill Martlets

  • File photo of Stinger defence Emily Even. Photo Shaun Michaud

After having won two in a row for the first time in over two years, the Stingers women’s hockey team faced off against their cross-town rivals, the McGill Martlets, on Friday in the third annual Score with School game, ultimately losing a two-goal lead and the match by a 4-2 score.

“I’m not at all disappointed at all with the girls’ performance today,” said Stingers head coach Les Lawton. “Our team [was] all around solid today. They’re the top team in the country and we held them to 26, 27 shots; I don’t think any other team has been able to do that.”

With the seats being adorned by over 600 elementary and high school students from the English Montreal School Board, the game was sure to be intense and a much closer rematch game than that on Nov. 17, which McGill won handily 5-1.

The game started off well for the Stingers, who were able to kill off two penalties within the first six minutes of the game. Following that, it was their turn to work the power play after McGill took three penalties in a row.

Nearing the end of the first period with the Martlets down a pair of players, the Stingers power play clicked when rookie forward Kerianne Schofield scored her second goal of the season, shooting the puck past Martlet goaltender Andrea Weckman to open the scoring.

Just over a minute later the Concordia struck gold again when a three-on-two rush was finished off with a goal by veteran forward Alyssa Sherrard.

But the Martlets showed they’re the top-ranked team in the country for a reason, narrowing the gap just over a minute into the second period before tying the game 2-2 when McGill’s Brittany Fouracres jabbed away at a loose puck in front of Stingers goaltender Carolanne Lavoie-Pilon at 7:44 of the frame.

It proved to be the turning point of the game, as just over the six-minute mark of the third period fourth-year Martlets winger Leslie Oles sprung loose and shot the puck high blocker on Lavoie-Pilon to give the Red and White a 3-2 edge.

One last goal by McGill with just over a minute left clinched the win for the Martlets, 4-2.

Despite the loss the Stingers took away only positives from the game.

“We’re doing the right things collectively, and the gap is closing,” said Lawton. “This is a young team that’s going to do really well the second half of the season.”

By commenting on this page you agree to the terms of our Comments Policy.