One Step Closer To Clinch Playoff Spot

Big Win Gives Stingers a Chance of Post-Season for First Time in Three Years

  • Despite losing to McGill Saturday afternoon, Les Lawton’s Stingers bounced back with a huge 3-1 victory over the Carleton Ravens Sunday. Photos Shaun Michaud

After being set back their chase for the post-season Saturday afternoon in a 5-1 loss to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport no. 1-ranked McGill Martlets, Concordia was excited at their chances against the Carleton Ravens—a team who had lost 15 straight.

A regulation win for the Stingers would all but clinch the post-season for the first time since the 2010-11 season, when they finished third in the Réseau du Sports étudiants du Québec.

They got what they were hoping for, defeating the Ravens 3-1 Sunday afternoon at Ed Meagher Arena.

“The game plan was to go out and take two points away from Carleton in regulation,” said veteran forward Jaymee Shell, who got the game-winning goal and added an assist.

“[We wanted] to get ahead of them in the standings so we can focus on Ottawa now.”

With the win, the Stingers, who now have a 5-12-0 record, are only two points behind the Ottawa Gee Gees, who have lost six in a row, and face Concordia next Saturday afternoon at the Minto Sports Complex.

The last time the Stingers made the post-season was in captain Erin Lally’s sophomore season.

The Calgary-native, whose career with Concordia is nearing its end, reflects on the team she leads.

“Our record so far in the season does not reflect our work ethic and dedication,” said Lally. “This group is one of the hardest-working teams I have been with. I think we are starting to connect and gain confidence at the perfect time.”

The game itself was a great 60-minute performance for all the girls on the roster as well as an entertaining match for the fans.

“The kids are happy. We’re a young team and that was our goal at the beginning of the year to make the playoffs,” said Stingers head coach Les Lawton.

“We also have a shot at the number three spot. It’s going to be pretty intense the rest of the way. The next two games against Ottawa will really help our [playoff] push.”

The Maroon and Gold got on the board first at the 12:34 mark of the opening frame when forward Erica Porter took advantage of a Raven defender blowing a tire in front of her net.

Porter took the puck and did a wrist shot top corner past Raven goaltender Tamber Tisdale, for her first goal of the season.

“I try the shot all the time in practice,” said a very excited Porter. “It’s fun to finally get the opportunities, and this time it paid off. Hopefully it’ll keep going on through to the playoffs.”

The Ravens tied it up a couple of minutes later, but the game didn’t stay that way for long.

Late in the first, Ravens forward Ainslee Kent was in the penalty box for a hooking call, and the Stingers power play went to work.

After some good passing, rookie defender Caroll-Ann Gagné took a shot from the point and banked off the backboards right on the stick of Shell, who made no mistake putting the Stingers up for good.

Rookie forward Kerianne Schofield added the much-need insurance goal with just under four minutes left in the game, having an open rebound past Tisdale. Stingers netminder Carolanne Lavoie-Pilon wasn’t really busy until late in the game, picking up 14 saves for her third win of the season.

“[Almost] clinching a playoff spot gives us the opportunity to prove ourselves in the post-season,” said Lally. “Not to mention a great way to finish off my Stingers career.”

Next up for the Stingers is a back-to-back weekend affair traveling to play the Ottawa Gee Gees Saturday afternoon at the Minto Sports Complex, and then hosting the McGill Martlets at Ed Meagher Arena Sunday. Puck drop Sunday is at 3:30 p.m.

By commenting on this page you agree to the terms of our Comments Policy.