Women’s Hockey: Stingers Edged Out By Bitter Rivals

Maroon and Gold Lose 3-2 to Rival McGill

Stingers forward Audrey Morand chases down a loose puck in a game where the Stingers would lose the game 3-2 to their longtime rivals, the McGill Martlets on Sunday Nov. 30, 2014. Photo Julia Bryant
After ending a 57-game losing streak versus the McGill Martlets earlier in the season, McGill struck back defeating the Stingers 3-2 on Sunday Nov. 30, 2014. Photo Julia Bryant

Last Sunday afternoon, the Stingers faced off against the 2nd place RSEQ team, and bitter rivals, the McGill Martlets. For the second time this season, it was a one-goal game. This time, however, McGill came out on top, edging out Concordia 3-2 at the Ed Meagher Arena.

“We had a pretty good first half despite a few disappointments. I think our overall team has been great,” said head coach Les Lawton, “We’re sticking to our plan and are really learning how to win.”

The last time these two teams met back on November 7, the Concordia Stingers prevailed in a nail-biting 1-0 affair, ending a 57 game losing streak against McGill.

This time, McGill wanted revenge.

The Stingers scored the opening goal just under six minutes into the game when alternate captain Alyssa Sherrard found an open Kerianne Schofield who only had to tap the puck past Brittany Smrke for her second of the season.

McGill forward, Leslie Oles tied the game back up at one midway through the first on a powerplay with a backhander that eluded Stingers goaltender, Briar Bache.

On their first powerplay of the game, the Stingers capitalized when forward forward Tracy-Ann Lavigne flung the puck on net and passed Smrke to restore Concordia’s lead.

“It wasn’t a great goal, but I’ll take it,” said Lavigne, “Anytime the puck goes in it doesn’t matter the quality, just that it shows on the scoreboard.”

However, the Martlets would return the favour when Oles stripped the puck off a Concordia player and scored a shorthanded goal.

Off the ensuing draw, Concordia seemed to get an immediate spark, and regained their lead, however, the officials made a goaltender interference call against forward Audrey Morand as Smrke lay on her back.

“I was backing off from the defender and then saw the goalie down,” said Morand. “I didn’t want to push the goaltender. I don’t know if I got pushed or not.”

Oles completed her hat trick just under five minutes into the third, sealing her team’s 3-2 victory over the Stingers.

“We have a really great squad of girls here,” said team captain Danielle Scarlett, “The young girls are really stepping up, we’re a very united team which is half the battle.”

“These are a great group of kids that work really hard,” said Lawton, “We’re very happy where our direction is headed. Heading into the second half, nobody wants to play our team and that’s where we want to be.”

The Stingers are now headed into the winter break with a record of 4-4-2, a solid turnaround from a year ago when they sat at 3-7-0 at the break.

“It’s a great start to conclude the first half,” said Scarlett, “As long as we stay on top of things, we should have an even stronger second half.”

The girls now will rest up and just practice before hosting the annual Theresa Humes Tournament held January 2-4, 2015.