Stingers a No-Show

ConU Soccer Sits Back as UdeM Fires on All Cylinders

Photo Eric White

“Poor performance, lack of quality, lack of heart.”

That’s how Stingers head coach Lloyd Barker described the Concordia’s men’s soccer team’s effort during Sunday’s 4-0 home loss to the Université de Montréal Carabins. With this defeat, the Stingers have now dropped to 1-7-1 in conference play.

For the first 30 minutes, both sides had opportunities and the game seemed wide-open. Then, with 16 minutes remaining in the half, Carabins broke the deadlock off a set play.

Midfielder Maxime Laurey swung in a free kick and forward Alhassane Fox rose above the defense to head the ball home.

“It’s been a typical story; we do well in the first 30 or 40 minutes and then for some reason we just lose our heads and the game turns around.” Stingers head coach Lloyd Barker

Fox was involved in the next goal eight minutes later, dribbling through multiple defenders before passing to striker Sylvain Willot, who slotted the ball past the keeper for his first of two goals on the night.

Down 2-0 at the half after starting strong, Stingers coach Lloyd Barker commented on his team’s tendency to collapse early. “It’s been a typical story; we do well in the first 30 or 40 minutes and then for some reason we just lose our heads and the game turns around,” he said.

The next goal came 17 minutes into the second half. Stingers conceded a penalty, with Laurey stepping up to take it. Giannone made a great save on the original effort, but Willot was once again in the right place, tapping in the rebound.

The Concordia side was unable to find a response to the striking duo of Willot and Fox.
While Stingers Eduardo Mazzonna and Shady Shalaby started the game, they were replaced at the half by substitutes Alfred Moody and Ayman El Bouhssini.

The substitutions could not make an impact either, however; by game’s end the Stingers had mustered only three shots on the UdeM keeper.

One of them was one of the few bright spots for the home team, a blistering shot from 25 yards out by midfielder Karim Haroun, which was tipped over by Montreal goalkeeper, Gregory Morin-Maltais.

As the half wore on, the Stingers showed signs of their frustration, as numerous players received yellow cards for harsh challenges.

Montreal delivered the final nail in the coffin in the game’s dying seconds when centre Alexandre Mongrain connected on a pass from centre Kevin Chan-Yu.

The Stingers head to Claude Robillard Sports Complex this Friday where they’ll take on the Université de Québec à Montréal Citadins. Kickoff is at 8:30 p.m.