Nah’msayin?

Should I Buy a Cycling Cap?

  • Graphic Vivien Leung

If you’re not sure then you probably shouldn’t. I think that’s a pretty good rule when it comes to looking cool, or at least trying hard to look cool. A perfect example of trying hard at wearing clothes is a cycling cap.

Obviously trendy garments have different meanings for different people, but outside of “serious” cycling and keeping your hair from poking through your helmet vents, wearing a cycling cap can only mean one thing: “I want to associate myself with ‘Bike Culture.’”

Wanting to associate yourself with bike culture generally means: “I want to sleep with someone who appreciates/is part of bike culture,” or “I entertain fantasies of working as a bicycle courier, but would probably never do so or maybe did for like, a week.”

This makes couriers mad, which creates a tricky paradox of offending the people on whom you’ve built your most recent personal style. This is doubly difficult because for many messengers, the entire job is simply a most recent personal style.

Dykes, however, get a free pass. The hats, much like the plumage of a junglebird or buttocks of a baboon, are deeply important in their mating rituals. Studies show that 67% of drunken 3rd base lesbo hookups are the direct or indirect result of a mutual appreciation of the fixed gear bicycles they so awkwardly pilot. The other 33% are the result of conversations about radical ‘zines, guerilla knitting and vintage all-girl rock groups.

P.S. If you’re a lesbo courier, you win. Everybody wants to bone you.

—Tristan Lapointe

This article originally appeared in The Link Volume 31, Issue 08, published October 5, 2010.

By commenting on this page you agree to the terms of our Comments Policy.