UPDATED: McGill Running Back Pleads Not Guilty to Domestic Violence
McGill Redmen football player Luis-Andres Guimont-Mota pleaded not guilty for three criminal charges of assault on his girlfriend, theft and uttering threats in court Thursday.
He was released on a $300 bail and is due back in court Feb. 23.
The 22-year-old was arrested after police responded to a call at an apartment on Jeanne-Mance St. near Prince Arthur St. Wednesday morning, Service de police de la ville de Montréal constable Jean-Pierre Brabant told The Link.
“When police arrived, a 21-year-old woman told them she had been assaulted during a fight with her boyfriend,” he said, adding that the man was arrested at 2 p.m. after an SPVM investigation.
McGill University Deputy Provost Ollivier Dyens released a statement Wednesday night, saying the player was suspended from the team immediately “pending resolution of his case by the court.”
According to the statement, the university was informed of the player’s arrest Wednesday afternoon.
“The Office of the Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning) will actively investigate the matter. In line with the values and policies of McGill University, we will take any and all measures that are deemed to be appropriate,” Dyens wrote.
“The suspension is in compliance with the university’s varsity athletics guidelines,” he said.
It’s not Guimont-Mota’s first run-in with the law. He was convicted of assault in 2012 in his hometown of Quebec City after he and two other men beat up a younger man outside a bar in May 2010.
He received a 90-day intermittent jail sentence and was allowed to remain on the team.